Who Can Play?
Requirements to play:
Most dogs who do well in a dog park will do well at Downtown Dogs. Since your dog’s safety and well being is our top concern, we do have a few requirements for day care dogs.
- Spay or Neuter
All dogs over seven months old must be spayed or neutered.
Dogs must be current on the following vaccinations:
DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Parainfluenza), Rabies and Bordetella. Please bring vaccination record to your evaluation.
- Play Nice!
Dogs must be able to enjoy and function well in a group play environment.
How Do I Become a Client?
- Read the requirements above and ensure your dog meets them.
- Call to schedule your first day. The first day is an evaluation to ensure that your dog is a good fit for the environment and the environment is a good fit for your dog. Schedule it for a day you are available to come and pick up your dog in the event that he or she makes it clear that they would rather be at home.
- On your first day bring your dog and your proof of vaccinations if it has not already been faxed by your vet. Give yourself about ten extra minutes as we do have some registration paperwork.
- After the evaluation day, if all goes well, you can come for daycare or boarding any time!
Can I Check It Out Before Leaving My Dog?
Absolutely! Downtown Dogs is the only daycare in the area with an Open Air Design. This means anyone can walk in and see all of the play groups anytime! You can smell the air your dog is breathing, hear what the environment sounds like, and see the entire play groups in action. We are the only daycare that allows the customer to experience this unannounced.
Stop in during business hours 6:45 AM and 9:00 PM, M-F or 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Saturday and Sunday. If at all possible please avoid 12 - 2 PM weekdays. This is the dogs' nap time and visitors really stir the dogs up during VERY much needed rest.
Who Will Take Care of My Dog? Can I Meet Them?
Absolutely! Again because of the Open Air Design on each visit you will get to talk personally to the employees who have been caring for your dog.
Do You Have an Outdoor Yard?
YES! Through successful collaboration with the city we were able to gain permission for an outdoor yard.
Do You Separate Big and Little Dogs?
We have three huge playrooms.
The Florida Room – This room is for dogs who might get overwhelmed in a highly active play group. This includes senior citizens, small dogs, and shy/fearful dogs. Lots of snuggling goes on in the Florida Room!
The Las Vegas Room – This room is for the dog who likes action! If you have a young dog that likes to wrestle and run, they will love Vegas.
The New York Room - This room, like Vegas is also for party animals!
At the time of the evaluation we will determine where your dog will be most comfortable and situate them accordingly.
Should I Bring My Dog When I Come to Check it Out?
It works better if you don’t. The daycare dogs get very excited at the thought of a new playmate and it tends to make the experience more hectic.
Don’t the Dogs Fight?
It is pretty rare. Because we evaluate all dogs prior to their entrance into the play group, and because the dogs' behavior is carefully managed, things run pretty harmoniously. While there is never a guarantee, Downtown Dogs takes every precaution to ensure there are no fights. Your dog’s safety is our top priority!
Precautions we take to ensure your dog’s safety:
- All dogs are evaluated and dogs exhibiting aggressive behaviors are not admitted to daycare.
- Dogs are supervised by trained professionals 100% of the time. Our center leads the nation in behavior knowledge and pack management. Our staff is trained to understand dogs' body language so fights can be stopped before they start.
- Dogs are carefully and slowly introduced to their play group.
Since dogs do bite and claw as they play, minor cuts and scratches are not uncommon; but you can rest assured every precaution is taken to avoid a serious altercation.
Why Downtown Dogs?
- The biggest play rooms
- Open Air Design (you get to see everything when you walk in the door)
- The most highly trained staff
- A real passion and love of dogs
- Donate profits, time, and resources to help homeless dogs
- Locally, independently owned
- Super GREEN
For more details see our “Why Downtown Dogs” page. It is without question the best care in town and, as a bonus, a business you can be proud to support!