Beyond Our Walls
In choosing Downtown Dogs you know you are helping your dog get the important stimulation, socialization, and exercise they need. But did you know that you are also helping homeless dogs, the environment, and your local economy? At Downtown Dogs we are committed to reaching beyond our own walls to make the world a better place for pets and people.
We support nonprofits that help animals
• Each year, we provide over 100 nights of free or discounted boarding to local rescue and foster organizations.
• In 2021 we launched “Change Unleashed,” a round-up and matching program to raise funds and awareness for local animal welfare organizations.
• Throughout the year, we sponsor events and donate gift certificates and prizes to help non-profits further their missions.
We are stewards of our planet
• New HVAC systems installed in 2021 and 2022 increase the health and safety of everyone who enters Downtown Dogs and decrease energy usage by 15%.
• In 2022 we replaced all fluorescent lighting with energy-efficient LED lights.
• Our white roof reduces greenhouse emissions to the ozone layer and saves significant amounts of natural resources with its energy efficiency.
We work hard to attract, train, and retain high caliber employees
Our incredible team is what makes Downtown Dogs stand out from the “pack.” We value our team members and invest in them to ensure they are caring and professional when meeting all of your dog’s needs.
• We offer above industry standard starting pay, wages, and bonuses.
• We provide generous benefits including FREE HEALTH INSURANCE and four weeks of paid family leave on top of the required 12 unpaid weeks.
• We recognize strong performers and encourage promotions from within.
In 2021, sister businesses Downtown Dogs and Dog’s Day Out launched “Change Unleashed!” — an ongoing donation and matching program to help raise awareness and funds for non-profit animal welfare organizations in our community.
Bring in donations* of dog food (especially PUPPY FOOD!) cat food, and new or gently-used pet care items to Downtown Dogs or Dog’s Day Out.
From March 1 to June 30 2023, we’re inviting our customers to join us in supporting People & Pets Together (P&PT), an amazing non-profit that operates an emergency pet food shelf. Their mission is to support the important relationships people have with their animals, and to help prevent the surrender of pets during difficult economic times.
Two ways you can help P&PT individuals and families with pets in need:
- Round up or give an extra $2, $5, $10 or more when you checkout. Downtown Dogs and Dog’s Day Out will match customer donations up to $500 per month!
- Bring dog or cat food* and new or gently-used pet care items to the Downtown Dogs or Dog’s Day Out. (There are blue, SLS collection barrels in both lobbies.) P&PT’s most needed items include cat scratchers, clumping cat litter, robust leashes for big dogs, and large collars. (Blankets, pillows and cushions are not currently needed.)
* Un-opened, non-prescription food only, please.
P&PT opened its Minneapolis pet food shelf in 2016. It is one of the first surrender prevention programs in the Midwest. In 2021 P&PT:
- Served 1,170 households with 1,471 cats and 1,053 dogs.
- Distributed 15 tons of cat litter and 102,352 pounds of dog and cat food at the food shelf.
- Provided other Twin Cities food shelves with 103,642 pounds of dog and cat food.
To learn more about P&PT visit https://www.peopleandpetstogether.org. They are always looking for new volunteers to help local pets and the people who love them!
Helping Dogs Find their Forever Homes
We believe every dog deserves love, unlimited belly rubs and a safe home to call their own. That’s why we’re dedicated to helping rescue dogs in need find forever homes in our Twin Cities and greater Minnesota community.
Each year, we are proud to foster more than 100 homeless dogs. We act as a foster home for several animal rescue groups that work tirelessly to help abandoned pets find loving, dedicated families.
There are almost always several foster dogs in our daycare pack, playing, learning what it’s like to feel loved and waiting to meet their forever families. Check in with us to find out which dogs are in foster care and how to contact the rescue organization about adopting.
Rescue Dog Resources
We love that families are created in different ways and with different parts. We support responsible, safe breeders but encourage new pet families to consider rescuing a wonderful pet whenever possible.
If you’re considering adoption, volunteering or becoming a temporary foster family, the Twin Cities is home to several phenomenal rescues working tirelessly to find a home for every sweet hound. Here are a few we regularly work with:
International Boarding & Pet Services Association (IBPSA)
Minnesota Partnership for Animal Welfare (MnPAW)
North Minneapolis Pet Resource Center
Wallace the Pit Bull Foundation